[time-nuts] HP 3586B Selective Level Meter

Robert Benward rbenward at verizon.net
Sat Jul 28 22:39:45 UTC 2012

Chuck,
Got two of these guys, the "B" and the "C".  The C is the desirable one,
50ohms, but you will pay about three times the price.  Use the adapter, it's
$16 from the link below, it just isn't worth taking apart.  Also, you will
need a 50ohm BNC feed thru termination, then set the front panel to 10Kohm
input.  That will get you back to a 50 ohm input.  Then you need to add
approx 1.76dB to correct the display for the change from 75ohms to 50ohms.
You can use the display offset function.   Assuming this a fancy voltmeter,
note that for 0dBm in a 75 ohm system you need 274mV at the terminals.  0dBm
in a 50 ohm system can only provide 224mV, and thus will read -1.76dBm.
Thus add 1.76dBm to correct the display.

      Impedance 50 75 75
      Voltage 0.224 0.224 0.274
      Watts 0.001 0.001 0.001
      dBm 0.000 -1.761 0.000