[time-nuts] HP 3586B Selective Level Meter...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Mon Jul 30 20:07:20 UTC 2012

I've seen severe damage to the motherboard caused by the battery
leaking onto it.  I've bought two with all the options from eBay, but
will not consider one unless they seller shows it up and running,
even with errors displayed.  If I see it's running almost all other
problems are fixable.  When I do get one the first thing I do is get
the battery out of it.  So far I've been lucky.

I've replaced the WECO connector with BNC connectors for the WB input
on all of my HP-3586B instruments.  I replace the battery with a
cordless telephone 2.4 Volt Nicad jobby and mount it on the back
panel by extending the leads from the power supply board.

Are any of you familiar with the Beethoven test?  This alone makes
the price of the instrument worth it.

Burt, K6OQK

>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] HP 3586B Selective Level Meter
>

>If they've been sitting there doing nothing for at least three years
>there's also the consideration of leaking Ni-Cads on the power supply  boards.
>
>The 3586 is yet another item where the backup battery was often  ignored
>for very long periods and with very nasty results at times.
>
>The corrosive green goo that builds up on the gold plated PCB surface can
>also find it's way down into the edge connector and  even onto the
>motherboard in severe cases.
>
>Not nice !!
>
>Nigel
>GM8PZR