[time-nuts] Active antennas for a Thunderbolt...

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Mon Jul 30 22:37:41 UTC 2012

Chuck wrote:

>I don't quite know what to say about that.  Trimble seems to think that bullet
>antenna is the right thing to use.  Somehow, I would think they should know.

I normally use a choke-ring survey antenna, but I also have a Trimble
Bullet III, P/N 41556-00 (RoHS version is P/N 57860-10) -- which is
the antenna that Trimble recommended for use with the
Thunderbolt.  IME, at 35-40 north latitude it works OK indoors (with
a plaster ceiling and asphalt tile over wood roof between it and the
outside), and flawlessly out in the semi-open (some trees closer than
you'd like) with 100 feet of good 75-ohm coax (most birds have a c/n
of 48 dB or more).  A Symmetricom cone timing antenna works pretty
much the same, with about 2 dB lower c/n.

Best regards,

Charles