[time-nuts] Cables dor 10 mHz

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 22:53:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Sylvain Munaut <246tnt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 10 mHz
>
> Please use MHz   ...
>
> 10 mHz is 10 milli-hertz, ie 1 cycle every 10 second.
>

> An yes, ethernet not being coax cables, I'd expect them to act as
> antennas quite a bit ...

He said "old" Ethernet cables so I assume he meant 10Base2 cable which
is RG58 with BNC connections.

Or the even older 10Base5 cable.   But the old 10Base5 would never
leak.  It was made from RG8 but with an additional shield braid cover
and they never cut it, signals were taken with "vampire taps". Or at
the feed end where they used type N connections.   I wonder how many
people here remember the old 10base5 stuff.  We used to call it
"Frozen yellow garden hose".  It was a perfect description.  I think
it was about 1980. And I still remember being astounded when I saw
that a "vampire tap" could work.