[time-nuts] GPS and Rubidium frequency standards and noise question (new...

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Jun 3 08:46:28 UTC 2012

Jerry, Chris,

it's all relative, while the Lpro may be a good Rb standard, it's phase
noise is not that good really. You list:

   -96dBc/Hz @ 10Hz, -138dBc/Hz @ 100Hz, -152dBc/Hz @ 1KHz  offsets

For the Lpro. The new Jackson Labs Technologies LN CSAC GPSDO with SC-cut
phase noise and ADEV filter achieves the following:

   -138dBc/Hz @ 10Hz, -148dBc/Hz @ 100Hz, -152dBc/Hz @ 1KHz  offsets.

At 1Hz offset we see -105dBc/Hz and better on that unit.

The FEI-5680A Rubidium that we discussed here some time ago has a much
worse phase noise plot of course, because the 10MHz is generated digitally
through a DDS, not a 10MHz crystal oscillator..

It all depends on your requirements, and your budget.. I think the Z3801A
(or it's brother the 58503A) is still one of the lowest phase noise and
best ADEV GPSDO on the surplus market if you get a typical unit, and if you can
 locate one.

bye,
Said