[time-nuts] Paywall rant

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Jun 5 10:42:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 00:26:56 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> The IEEE is particularly behind the times.  I assume it's left over from when
> they could get away with it because they only had to jack up the price of
> printed stuff by a small amount.  Some of this may trace back to their
> standards work where they could get away with high prices.

Actually they are getting worse. IEEEs Computer Society started to send
out yearly reminders that it's not ok to share documents you legaly
acuired with your coworkers and friends. Telling them a few times that
this is in contradiction to local law, which explicitly allows me to do
that didn't change anything... That and also the wording that strongly
suggests that anyone who is subscribed to the CDL is a thief ("illegaly"
copying files and sharing them with the world) led me to the decision
to cancel my subscription.

			Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.