[time-nuts] GPS and Rubidium frequency standards and noisequestion (new...

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Jun 5 13:08:58 UTC 2012

Hi

Put another way - nobody should directly multiply 10 MHz to 10 GHz with an
real expectation of low phase noise when they are done. The design of that
multiplier chain is a big part of the equipment design. Cheap out on it and
you will have trouble.

The same issues also get into high speed timing circuits. There the cause /
effect are not quite as obvious to people. It's a frequency domain / time
domain gotcha where the noise makes more sense in the frequency domain.

Bob