[time-nuts] Antenna question about RHCP/LHCP I'm sure a time-nut can answer

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue Jun 5 16:41:55 UTC 2012

To quote Jasik's treatment of Kraus's work:

"There are two kinds of circular polarization, right-hand, and left-hand.  Either
type may be generated by a helical beam antenna, depending on the manner in which
the helix is wound.  A helix wound like a right-hand screw radiates or receives
right-hand circular polarization..."

Pretty clear in Jasik.  I have to believe that Kraus was able to make a statement
with a similar level of clarity somewhere in his book... but I don't have a copy
on hand to test my beliefs.

As to the thread handedness:  That is pretty old terminology that has been around
since the first blacksmith tried to describe how he made his screws to another
blacksmith.

In any case, the "handedness" of a circularly polarized wave is really just a
convention.  If the person discussing the principal understands the principal,
he should arrive at descriptions that are self consistent.  Believing that a
RHCP antenna transmits with a right hand helix, and receives with a left hand
helix is not being consistent.  Either the frame of reference is inconsistent,
or the understanding is inconsistent.

Right?

-Chuck Harris

PS, I don't see this as arguing, just two friends having a discussion.