[time-nuts] GPS / GNSS front-end board

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Jun 5 19:31:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 08:03:53 -0700
Peter Monta <pmonta at gmail.com> wrote:

> o far I have a prototype board outputting bits from which GPS signals
> on L1 and L2 have been successfully acquired and tracked.  Next steps
> are to play with acquiring some GPS L5, Glonass, and Galileo signals,
> and to apply some minor cleanups to the hardware for the next spin.
>
> The current design files, including schematic, PCB layout and artwork,
> HDL, support software, and a sample sky recording of simultaneous
> wideband L1 and L2, are available here:
>
> http://pmonta.com/blog/2012/06/04/gnss-firehose/
> http://github.com/pmonta/GNSS_Firehose

Very cool! I like it! And i imediatly buy one as soon as you produce some :-)

I had a cursory look at the schematics and i would propose the following
changes:

* Connect all free pins of the FPGA to a 2.54mm header pin connector
  This would make extensions to the system a lot simpler.
  Up to the point of using a simple uC board for a full fledged
  GPSDO system. Additonally put onto this connecter an unused output
  of the LMK03806 and some power supply pins.

* The XC6SLX9 is <10USD more expensive than the SLX6. I think the added
  value of having twice as much "real estate" would justify the additional
  price.

* Connect the enable pin of the OSC1 to a 2-pin header, so it can be
  disabled with a simple jumper. And put a SMA connector into the path
  between OSC1 and the LMK03806 (probably not mounted by default) in order
  to make using an external clock source easier.

I assume that you are running the ADCs in multiplexed mode and the FPGA
at 128MHz clock?

How about design tools for the FPGA? As far as i can tell, the ISE WebPack
does not support the Spartan 6 family.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?