[time-nuts] GPS / GNSS front-end board

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Jun 6 22:01:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:08:24 -0700
Peter Monta <pmonta at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking to do a resistor-programmable option to either use the
> 10 MHz or the TCXO as input to the LMK03806.  I'm not sure there's a
> huge advantage to using a more stable clock, though.  The TCXO is
> probably plenty good enough for keeping the carrier PLLs in
> lock---it's a fairly high-end TCXO which is not cheap ($18).  Using
> the 10 MHz (or 100 MHz) does have the merit of potentially saving the
> cost of the TCXO, but many users would probably want a board that just
> works, without a lot of external doodads to hook up.

There is. The paper "Ultra Stable Oscillators - Limits of GNSS
cohrerent integration" by Gagero and Borio[1] gives a nice overview
what you can acheive if you have a more stable oscillator.

Gaggeros master thesis[2] goes a bit further into the details of
how the experiment was setup and what results came out.

			Attila Kinali

[1] http://plan.geomatics.ucalgary.ca/papers/ion08_ultrastable_pascalg_26sep08.pdf
[2] http://plan.geomatics.ucalgary.ca/papers/msc_thesis_gaggero_feb08.pdf

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?