[time-nuts] Different or defective FE-5680A?

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Sat Jun 9 08:13:04 UTC 2012

On 6/9/2012 12:35 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:

> Any idea WHY someone would design something like that?  A programable
> frequency standard where the frequency does not come out of the box.
>
> What next and audio amplifier that only drives an internal dummy load?
>   Light bulb with a metal envelope?
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

Fairly common, I think. Their business is responding to big-customer
RFQs. The customer told them what the specifications were and they
responded with a price for various quantities. What's cheaper, make a
new design or cripple an existing design to meet a customer request?

I worked for a big main-frame computer company once. If you had the
secret knowledge, a simple jumper on one of the boards would enable a
many-$k feature. (Not easy to find or do, but true.)

FEI and particularly the 5680A seems to be a prime example of many
flavors of one product. Only FEI knows how many variations they did and
that is between them and the customers that requested them. It appears
they did at least one major redesign but kept the same model number.

Time-nuts members have been pretty good at figuring out differences and
adaptations.
Read the KO4BB wiki and update it if new variations or modifications are
found:
http://www.ko4bb.com/dokuwiki/doku.php

-Rex