[time-nuts] Rapco 1804m

Paul Flinders paul at flinders.org
Sat Jun 9 19:01:10 UTC 2012

On 09/06/12 18:42, Chris Albertson wrote:

> Could be any kind of internal failure.
Yes, it's got the feeling of a processor problem, duff RAM or similar.
>   But I'd check out the antenna and
> the antenna feed line.  I've seen broken ground shields and water wicked
> inside the coax, is there DC in the center conductor (as measured at the
> antenna end of the cable) so the amp inside the antenna can be powered.  Is
> the  DC voltage correct?  Does the antenna work with some other GPS
> receiver?

4.85V on the antenna connector, haven't got another GPS receiver to
check the antenna with but I don't think that's the problem.

If I pull the power header from the GPS board then the overall behaviour
doesn't change, runs for 20 secs max, then resets. Usually doesn't even
get to print out one UTC line so I just get a cycle of the software
version string down the terminal.

With the GPS board disabled the only difference is that if it does
manage to print the satellite data it's blank - pretty much what you'd
expect.

I think that basically confines the problem to the processor board.

I've contacted the vendor but as they still haven't replied to my
request for a copy of the manual (once again thanks to everyone who
helped me out there) I doubt I'll get much joy.