[time-nuts] Thunderbolt cabling questions

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 21:46:40 UTC 2012

I did about the same thing, added some long some long cables but did it
differently.   You can better performance if the T-bolt is in a space where
the temperature is controlled.  ANY place is better than an attic which has
hot in the day and cold at night.   My T-bolt is on the top shelf of a
walk-in closet housed with its power supply in a plastic case that has some
vents.  The temperate in the box remains stable.

What I'd suggest in your case is moving the t-bolt to a living space in the
house and using a longer antenna lead.  You can make the antenna lead as
long as you like.   If you go over say 100 feet then you'd ned a higher
gain antenna but it can work with cables even longer.

On the other end the cable carrying the PPS can be long, but remember to
terminate it if you use a long coax.  How long the RS232 can be depends a
little bit not the quality of the serial port on the computer.  Many are
"fake rs-232" and use TTL voltages.   With extenders can be any length you
like.  I was able to go 50 feet using a serial cable I made with cat-5
network cable.   The PPS did NOT do well at all using 50 feet of that
cable.

As I said, I found after experiments the the t-bolt is best located closer
to where it is unneeded and in heated living space.  Antenna cable is
cheap.   Use that 75 Ohm cable TV stuff.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Chris Wilson <chris at chriswilson.tv> wrote:

>  10/06/2012 22:26
>
> My Thunderbolt, PSU and antenna should arrive this week. I would like
> to put out it outside my shack, which is an upstairs room in a bungalow.
> Outside of the plasterboard walls of my room is a big empty roof space. Can
> I put the TB in there, with it's PSU and feed the antenna wire out
> under a ridge tile and have the antenna itself on an aluminium bracket
> with a clear sky view on the ridge of the roof.? It would mean a cable
> from the output of the TB back into my room of about 10 or so feet.
> Anything I need to watch for, does the PSU run particularly warm? How
> much current do they draw off the mains, it's not going to cost a bomb
> leaving it on 24 hours a day, is it? Thanks.
>
> --
>       Best Regards,
>                   Chris Wilson.
> mailto: chris at chriswilson.tv