[time-nuts] Thunderbolt cabling questions

Chris Wilson chris at chriswilson.tv
Mon Jun 11 12:46:59 UTC 2012

>   10/06/2012 22:26

> My Thunderbolt, PSU and antenna should arrive this week. I would like
> to put out it outside my shack, which is an upstairs room in a bungalow.
> Outside of the plasterboard walls of my room is a big empty roof space. Can
> I put the TB in there, with it's PSU and feed the antenna wire out
> under a ridge tile and have the antenna itself on an aluminium bracket
> with a clear sky view on the ridge of the roof.? It would mean a cable
> from the output of the TB back into my room of about 10 or so feet.
> Anything I need to watch for, does the PSU run particularly warm? How
> much current do they draw off the mains, it's not going to cost a bomb
> leaving it on 24 hours a day, is it? Thanks.

11/06/2012 13:43

Thanks for the replies, I never intended to have the TB unit itself
outside, just in the roof space, which pretty much follows the
temperature of my room anyway, as I only heat it in very cold weather
as the room pretty much follows the temperature of the rest of the
hose.

The stuff arrived this morning, with regard to the antenna, does it
need to see the sky from horizon to horizon? Or would a mount a few
feet above the gutter of the bungalow be adequate? I am not sure how
many satellites it needs to see to work properly. A mount about 3 feet
above the gutter line would be neat and trivial. Thanks again.

--
       Best Regards,
                   Chris Wilson.