[time-nuts] Thunderbolt cabling questions

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Jun 11 16:30:22 UTC 2012

Hi

Assuming you are in the northern hemisphere ...

You want a good view of the southern sky. You don't need to "see" due north
+/- about 45 degrees unless you are closer to the north pole than I suspect
you are. There are some minor benefits to being well above ground, but once
you get a good sky view things will work well. I would pick a location
that's 12" off the roof with a good view over one that's on a 40' mast in
the trees.

Ideally you would like to control the TBolt's temperature to within a degree
or two. That can be done with fans or a variety of other approaches. What
you want to avoid are rapid temperature ramps. Sun comes up and TBolt goes
up 30 degrees is not a recipe for ultimate stability.

Bob