[time-nuts] GPS NTP update on Mac OS-X 10.7.4

mike cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Tue Jun 12 15:13:48 UTC 2012

Le 12 juin 2012 à 16:37, Ross T61AA a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I recently connected up a USB GPS to my Linux box and found it quite easy to get NTP to up from the GPS. I was hoping to get the same GPS to update the Mac running Lion 10.7.4, however, it has been a very frustrating uphill battle.
>
> Has anybody managed to get GPS NTP update working on OS-X?

A little detail of your issue might help. If you are using usb, I assume you are using the NMEA driver.  I don't have Lion, but 10.6. I did try out a mg1613s usb board with my MacBook and got it working with the following IIRC ( I disconnected it as I was just testing the device but that was back in 2010):

# Generic NMEA driver - default is timing at last message in stream
# Serial Port: /dev/gpsu; 4800 baud, 8-bits, no parity
# 127.127.20.x mode y  where
# x is the com port number
# y is the mode which is a concatenation of message selection in bits 0-3
# 0 = use all messsages
# 1  = $GPRMC  etc   see the doc.
# bits 456 are the speed. value 0 = 4800, 16 = 9600,  etc
#  ex. mode 18 is just $GPGGA messages at 9600 bps
# server 127.127.20.1 mode 18
# fudge 127.127.20.1  time1 0.0 time2 0.0 stratum 8

 IIRC there was a time offset due to the message end being used as timing, which can be allowed for using the time2 fudge.