[time-nuts] NTGS50AA glitches

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Tue Jun 12 20:10:09 UTC 2012

On 6/12/2012 12:25 PM, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>
>> The attached LH plot shows what happened when it was moved slightly
>> on the bench two or three times. What surprises me is that the DAC
>> plot remains offset after everything else has settled.
>
> The movement event(s) appear to coincide with about 3 hours of
> significant temperature events.  Both physical jostling and
> temperature may have an observable effect on the required EFC
> voltage.  IME, the ~2 mV ECF shift seems somewhat high for normal
> jostling, but not beyond reason.

Charles, the apparent temperature shifts were only caused by the
movement, and were a surprise to me.  The board is open on my bench in a
room with an open window and the regular diurnal variation can be
clearly seen and this has little effect on the performance.  The
movement of the unit was caused by my pulling slightly on the antenna
coax by accident and then putting the board back in place. The last move
was a deliberate one, but again was only a few inches on the bench.

I'm not going to obsess over it; when I get the thing boxed up it won't
be moving very far :^)   Even with no optimisation of the settings, it
still outperforms both my regular T'bolt and one I have that has an
E1938 oven in it.

Dan