[time-nuts] Thunderbolt cabling questions

Rix Seacord eseacord at verizon.net
Tue Jun 12 21:35:10 UTC 2012

Hi gang
Just to upset the apple cart a bit, high trees do not necessarily
protect a large area from lightning.
In my past life as a range officer at a large shooting facility, we were
hit by lightning directly in front of the firing line during a storm.
The tree line was about 20 to 30 ft behind us and at least 50+ feet higher.
There was even evidence of arcing between 2 pieces of conduit stuck in
the ground about 5 ft apart. first and last time I saw a fire ball.
For induced charges from nearby strikes nothing beats a good ground and
lightning protector system.
If a direct hit, I hope your insurance is paid up.
My gps antennas are about 25 above ground just above my roof line. The
mast is grounded to 2 ground rods and the coax fed through gas tube
lightning protects. No problems even with hits several hundred yards away.

Ewing (Rix) Seacord
K2AVP/4/499
eseacord at verizon.net

914-262-9186 Cell