[time-nuts] Fwd: GPS NTP update on Mac OS-X 10.7.4

Ross T61AA t61aa at amsat.org
Wed Jun 13 15:54:02 UTC 2012

Thanks Hal

I'll look at ntp.org

> GPS over USB generally doesn't work very well.  You will probably get better
> results over the net.

I will be in an entirely stand alone situation and therefore GPS is my best timekeeping option for WSPR and WSJT - EME ops.

> The problem isn't USB polling, it's firmware that adds about 100 ms of
> wander.  By wander I mean low frequency drift.  It's too slow to filter out.
>
> Here is a graph from a SiRF III, the most common chipset in low cost USB GPS
> devices.  Most others are similar.
> http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/GPSSiRF-off.gif
> If anybody finds a good one, please let me know.

I've had a UBLox chip on a board working with my Linux laptop perfectly well, however OSX will just not allow the setup to work.

>> I did a sum link to /dev/gps0 and can cat the output and see the NMEA stream
>> of alternate $GPRMC and $GPZDA messages,
>
>> I just cannot get it to accept the gps as a peer.
>
> The GPRMC sentence has a flag to tell you if it is seeing enough satellites.
> Are you seeing A or V?  I think A is good and V is bad.

I am seeing satellites and can cat the output of the device OS X will just not allow to to connect to 127.127.20.0, same device plugged into the Linux laptop works very well - just cannot get NTP in OS X to add it as a peer