[time-nuts] Paper about DCF77 performance

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Thu Jun 14 07:17:13 UTC 2012

Attila,

> An ADEV plot would be much more informative on the stability.

I have found an old publication from former PTB researcher Dr. Peter Hetzel.
This publication holds a diagram which (while not being exactly an ADEV
plot) holds some interesting information on the topic: It shows the STANDARD
DEVIATION of timing measurements made on DCF77's signal abt. 273 km away
from the transmitter location as a function of the averaging time of the
measurements. So no ADEV but coming close...

The diagram starts at abt. 8E-8 std dev for 1 s avaraging time and is
basically a straight line with a slope of abt. -0.8. that extends to 7E-14
for averaging times of 100 days. I list a few values:

8E-8    @   1 s
1E-9	  @	10 s
2E-10   @   100 s
5E-11   @   1000 s
2E-12   @   1 d
3E-13   @   10 d
7E-14   @   100 d

The diagram has no log sub scale so the readings are my estimate. The
diagram hold a lot of individual points between 10 and 100 days averaging
time indicating that a lot of measurements with that averaging times have
really been done.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert