[time-nuts] Strange E3610A PSU - Old revision

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Thu Jun 14 14:58:41 UTC 2012

There appears to be some massive contamination on the board, apparently
not only from a leaked electrolytic cap. It looks much like some unknown
liquid flooded a large area of the board and dried.

I do not see any reworked solder joints on the board, so the 'unusual'
components have to be original to the unit. Do not attempt to change the
circuit (replace components with values from a schematic that does not
match the given circuit exactly), otherwise you'll end up in a mess. You
may perform the service note changes though, given you check carefully
if they work for your unit. Especially the voltage overshoot issue
should be easy to check in advance.

The 12/91 date code on the transformer (unfortunately, the serial number
is still undisclosed) indicates a very early example of the E3610A that
was actually introduced in the 1992 catalog.

As by the 1992 catalog, there is a 10-turn voltage pot and a 1-turn
current pot. More recent versions have 10-turn current pots as does mine
from 1998. Also, it has U2 = LM340T (!), U4 = LF442CN, U5 = LM393N, U1 =
LF411CN, U3 = LM336.

Hope that helps.

Adrian