[time-nuts] Sidereal time

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 06:20:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Lady Heather can do sidereal time.   Specify either the LMST, LAST, GMST
> or GAST time zone (for Local/Greenwich Mean/Apparent Sidereal Time).

I think the question was how to get Sidereal time to the microsecond level.
 A computer display screen only gets refreshed roughly 60 to 100 times per
second so a screen can be tens of milliseconds off.

How is this done professionally.   Basically they don't.  What you do is
record a UTC time code on a track parallel to the data.  Or now that
everything is digital, the time code is sampled and multiplexed with the
data.   Later the display software can convert the time to whatever format
is desired.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California