[time-nuts] Paper about DCF77 performance

Daniel Engeler engeler at alumni.ethz.ch
Mon Jun 18 06:52:53 UTC 2012

> The clock-correction seemed a bit crude. I expected to find a PI-filter
> and a phase-accumulator to steer the 300 MHz to 37 MHz synthesis.

Actually I do use a phase accumulator, in Fig. 26 it's inside the "binary
search" block. The phase is accumulated during several seconds (longer for
a noisy signal), then the binary search takes a decision in which direction
to modify the clock correction.

A standard binary search cannot recover from a wrong decision, therefore I
use smaller steps which slowly converges to the final value.

I assume that the clock correction could also be implemented with a
classical PLL algorithm, it would be interesting to compare the performance.