John Lofgren jlofgren at lsr.com
Fri Jun 22 15:36:22 UTC 2012

Yes, Adam, you're correct.  In RF board layouts it's usually good practice to not allow ground fill under most components on the copper layer where the component is mounted.  Some specific exceptions exist for filters, amplifiers, etc. where the copper is needed for lowering the ground impedance or increasing thermal flow.

In the specific case with the crystal filters the ground was also opened up in the layers below the inductors.  It was either a 4 or 6 layer board and we made a rectangular cutout in the fill on the RF ground layer and power layer below each inductor.  The bottom layer ground fill was left intact.

Part of the issue with the board we were updating was that the RF ground layer was very close to the top component layer.  The whole board thickness was something less than the usual 0.062" and the height from the top to RF ground was something like 0.008".  In this case there's pretty strong coupling from the inductors into the ground.  On a 2 sided 0.062" board it's probably less of an issue.

The second part of the issue was the inductor type.  These were wirewound inductors with values in the mH range.  Their external field (and stray coupling) will be different than a nH range ceramic multilayer part.

As always, YMMV.  Each case will be a little different depending on frequency, component construction, and board stack.

-John