[time-nuts] Vectron Type 229 Crystal Oscillator

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 12:23:24 UTC 2012

Oh My God......IT'S ALIVE !!! :-)

-----------------

In a message dated 25/06/2012 01:14:25 GMT Daylight Time, GandalfG8 at aol.com
 writes:

Hi  All

I'd like to say thanks again to all who've offered advice  and  information
on this one, either via the list or directly, and having  now  been
provided
with the all the information I need would like to  share  it just in case
it's useful to anyone else.

The  connection data for the Vectron 229-9268 is indeed as   follows.....

1 B+ (Oven)
2 N/C
3 N/C
4 B+ (Osc)
5 VCXO  Supply
6 VCXO  Input
7 Return (Case)

The supply to both  pin 1 and pin 4 is +24V with a combined 250 mA  maximum
current at  turn-on.

The unit has +7dBm minimum output.

EFC is 12  ppm p-p minimum for 0-6V on pin 6

Reference voltage on pin 5 should  be ~6V

Given that it's after 0100 here, I think I might just quit for  now and
put
it on test in the  morning:-)

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR

In  a message dated 23/06/2012 19:20:57 GMT Daylight Time,
GandalfG8 at aol.com
writes:

I've  recently bought a  Vectron 229-9268 100MHz  crystal  oscillator via
Ebay with no information other than it  was supposed to have been   removed
from
an item of Racal  radio equipment several years ago.

It  has an SMA RF connector and  a 7 pin circular power connector, much in

the style of a B7G  valve base, with several leads attached to that  which

terminate at what appears to be a miniature version of a 9 pin   D
connector.

A search through the list archives, and  online  generally, has thrown up
two different connection  options offered in  response to previous requests

for
information on 229-xxxx series  oscillators, the first listed as  being for
CO-229 is as  follows.......

Pin 1 No  connection (NC)
Pin2 Case(0V)
Pin3  Case(0V)
Pin4 B+   24VDC
Pin5 VCXO Supply For option V models  only
Pin6 VCXO Input  For option  V models only
Pin7 VCXO  Return/case For option V  models only

The second is shown as being for a  "VECTRON 229 osc  with 7 pin Kovar feed

through in circle similar to  a
tube  base".......

1 B+ (Oven)
2 N/C
3 N/C
4 B+ (Osc)
5   VCXO Supply
6 VCXO  Input
7 return (Case)

Mine looks to be  a  very close match to the second option, pins 2 and 3
aren't  used, 7  is definitely ground, and there are small decoupling caps

from
pins  1 and 6 to pin 7, although no decoupling on 4 and  5.

I've seen  suggestions for the single power feed versions  that  the supply

options were either 12, 15, or 24 volts but  have found  nothing to
indicate
whether or not the dual  power feed versions would  always  use identical
supply  voltages, or if they might also have been   available requiring
different
voltages for oven and oscillator.

I'm  happy  enough to play "suck it and see" with the oven voltage, and
judge
that by current and case temperature, but would prefer not to fry   the
oscillator as part of that process, bit self defeating   really:-), so any
information would be very much   appreciated.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR
time-nuts mailing  list  -- time-nuts at febo.com