[time-nuts] Spoofing GPS

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 02:11:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM, <lists at lazygranch.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I read it. Typical Fox. The headline isn't accurate since they
> spoofed the civilian GPS system, not the military GPS.

I think it is.  Currently the military uses GPS guided drones put the
article says they will see more and more used, even by companies like Fed
Ex.  I don't think I deliver this will happen soon but it might.   The
article says that these new drones will be susceptible to GPS spoofing.

But there is a simple "fix" that to me seem obvious.   When you design a
nab system for a drone they should use inertial nav.  You can't spoof an
IMU.   But the cheap IMUs drift and need GPS updates.  So each time you
update the INU to do a sanity check on the GPS and see if it is within the
drift range of the IMU.  If not you assume the GPS is being spoofed and
continue using the INU data.

There are other backups too.  One is commercial radio broadcast stations.
 You can measure doppler to several of them.   And let's not forget about
video cameras that can see the ground or up to stars.  lastly there is
common sense that could be programmed into a navigation system, for example
if flying a straight course you'd expect the sun angle to remain constant
and the horizon to remain level

Same with any human pilot, truck driver or hiker, all of these people know
it is dumb to rely only on GPS.  Everyone cross checks it with other nab
sources.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California