[time-nuts] Widdershins

ehydra ehydra at arcor.de
Wed Jun 27 00:27:33 UTC 2012

Jim Lux schrieb:
> widdershins derives from Middle low german weddersines from Middle High
> German widersinnes, wider=back + sinnes=in the direction of

"widersinnig" means 'nonsense' = not useful in the common thinking.

The german "wider-" means 'against something'. There is another german
word "wieder-" (more lengthy pronounced) which means 'repeated' or
'repeat something'.

A common mistake in german language is writing "Wiederstand" meaning
resistor. The correct is "Widerstand" = forces against something (here
the physical current). The "-stand" has the same meaning as in english.

Another interesting word is Windows coming from german Windloch or
Windauge. A hole in the wall to let the smoke out or fresh air in in
ancient time were the buildings of poor people did not have any window
other than the door to come in and a outlet for the fire on the top. So
a window (without glass) was still an improvement. Later they used wood
on the windows and considerable later had glass windows. In the
beginning very small glass pieces without great color control during
manufacturing. Each batch of glass had a different color! Something
still in use at churchs for beautifulness. The old german word for this
is Butzenglas.
I suspect that M$ didn't resolved that word before using it or was it a
easter-egg?

That for fun ;-) Well, is history not directly per definition a time-nut
issue?

- Henry

--
ehydra.dyndns.info