[time-nuts] Spoofing GPS

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 27 03:07:11 UTC 2012

On 6/26/12 4:42 PM, J. Forster wrote:
> IMO, your failure rate estimate does not include the probability that some
> people might not like being spied on by UAVs.
>
> I can easily see a market for ground based GPS jammers, especially, in the
> more rugged, fertile, and inaccessible areas of California.

The GPS antennas on the UAVs face up, and have a (not very deep) null
facing down, so those rustic farmers are going to need a fair amount of
power facing up...

(and besides, why do it outside, when you can inexpensively rent large
industrial concrete tilt-up buildings with water, heavy power, and a

And, as far as remote sensing goes.. commercial overhead imagery from
aerial photo and satellites (SPOTimage, etc) is sufficiently good to
detect this kind of thing (as well as things like unpermitted swimming
pools on which property tax is not being paid).