[time-nuts] [OT] Paywall Rant (was Re: Spoofing GPS)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jun 28 04:20:07 UTC 2012

> Link is here:
> http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/34912

Thanks.

Off list, Jim Lux sent me the IEEE web stuff on their policy.  It basically
says you can post the final authors (peer reviewed) copy (with pointers to
their stuff) but not the actual published IEEE version.

There is lots of interesting paywall info at the MIT DSpace site:
(time sink warning)

Faculty Open Access Policy (unanimous vote, 2009):
http://tinyurl.com/cexpyph
http://libraries.mit.edu/sites/scholarly/mit-open-access/open-access-at-mit/mi
t-open-access-policy/

  The Faculty of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is committed
  to disseminating the fruits of its research and scholarship as widely as
  possible. In keeping with that commitment, the Faculty adopts the following
  policy: Each Faculty member grants to the Massachusetts Institute of
  Technology nonexclusive permission to make available his or her scholarly
  articles and to exercise the copyright in those articles for the purpose of
open
  dissemination. In legal terms (blah, blah, blah...)

MIT's web page, mostly on NIH Policy:
http://tinyurl.com/c89p77q
http://libraries.mit.edu/sites/scholarly/mit-open-access/open-access-at-mit/ni
h-policy/
  NIH requires free access (PubMed) to work they fund but gives journals the
first 12 months.

MIT Amendment Form:
http://tinyurl.com/7gbonnm
http://libraries.mit.edu/sites/scholarly/mit-open-access/open-access-at-mit/mi
t-amendment-form/
(It explicitly mentions NIH, but looks like it covers others.  I'm not a
lawyer etc.)

Here is an interesting list of organizations that are cooperating with MIT:
http://tinyurl.com/7drchms
http://libraries.mit.edu/sites/scholarly/mit-open-access/open-access-at-mit/mit-open-access-policy/publishers-and-the-mit-faculty-open-access-policy/

That says:
  IEEE	Discussions incomplete, but appears to be in full cooperation. Policy changed in January 2011, so that posting of the final published version is no longer allowed. Details at the IEEE website.

Interesting.  The ACM doesn't even have a slot on that page.  (Or I couldn't find it.)

There is an interesting concept of opt-out.  I think the idea is that the authors could (easily?) get permission from MIT to opt-out of their required free-access policy in order to get published in a fancy journal.

MIT Faculty Open Access Policy FAQ  (which includes a lot of opt-out info)
http://tinyurl.com/7nhkcuh
http://libraries.mit.edu/sites/scholarly/mit-open-access/open-access-at-mit/mit-open-access-policy/mit-faculty-open-access-policy-faq/#optout

I think it will be interesting to look back at this mess in 10 or 20 (or 50) years.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.