[time-nuts] [OT] Paywall Rant (was Re: Spoofing GPS)

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 28 14:15:03 UTC 2012

On 6/28/12 5:22 AM, J. Forster wrote:
> FYI, MIT got anal about IP policy in the early 1970s, demanding a transfer
> of all IP rights to the Institute for everything everyone did.
>
> I quit and went into the Consulting business (and wound up getting paid a
> LOT more for the same work).
>
> There is a fundamental conflict between the IP rights of sponsors and the
> open flow of information...  even more so if you include international IP
> theft.
>
> Essentially today, if you work for somebody, they own you.

I think one of the big changes in the US was the Bayh-Dole act, at least
with respect to government funded research at universities.  Prior to
that most university grants were structured so that "if the taxpayer
paid for it, it's available to anyone" (barring the whole journal
pubs/page charge issue.. but you see a lot of "Government Work not
protected by copyright" on older IEEE papers, for instance.  I think
those are mostly work at Govt labs, though)

After Bayh-Dole in 1980, which was intended to stimulate the nascent
genetic and bioengineering fields, universities (like Caltech, for which
I work, since they run JPL) can retain the rights to anything produced
at the institution.  The Government gets a fully paid, non-exclusive,
royalty free "government purpose rights" license, but the institution
owns it and can sell it for whatever the market will bear.

This substantially changed the whole IP landscape.  I think, before,
universities by and large actually didn't pay much attention to it.
Sure, there were professors spinning off a private operation, but the
uni didn't get a slice of the pie, since the uni developed piece (which
inevitably had public funds) was free to all.

One commentator said "The Bayh-Dole Act, which was enacted on December
12, 1980, was revolutionary in its outside-the-box thinking, creating an
entirely new way to conceptualize the innovation to marketplace cycle.
It has lead to the creation of 7,000 new businesses based on the
research conducted at U.S. Universities. Prior to the enactment of
Bayh-Dole there was virtually no federally funded University technology
licensed to the private sector, no new businesses and virtually no
revolutionary University innovations making it to the public"

I wouldn't agree with the last statement... what's more accurate, I
think is that nobody was able to make substantial money with a
university innovation by itself.  Lots of revolutionary innovations made
it into industry and to the public, unsung, unheralded, etc.   How many
people use a variant of BSD Unix? Spice? etc.  There are tons of niche
businesses (some in the time and frequency business, no less) that
basically have a few products based on some research done at a
University, and they have "commercialized" it in a useful and
unexceptional way.

When people started to see the potential for *billions* in revenue, and
some actually made millions, the Uni-s started to get interested.  (one
of Caltech and JPL's poster children for this is the database product
known as Vulcan at the lab, which became dBase which turned into
Ashton-Tate)

Now we are VERY sensitive to IP rights.  (look at the big case about
Stanford v. Roche and their patent agreement.. small changes in wording
about "agree to assign" vs "assign" rights, and all)