[time-nuts] FTS125 GPS Module

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 18:25:39 UTC 2012

Hello Martyn,

I evaluated the FTS125 TCXO module (FTS250 model) as well, and found  it to
have massively more phase noise and spurs than its specification, and  to
have a huge frequency jump of 1.2E-7 (1.2Hz) when coming out of just a
couple of minutes of holdover.

See the attached test results. I did not test the unit for very long
holdover, but other GPS receivers have the same exact problems when left in
holdover for hours or more, and a good GPSDO will address that issue in it's
firmware so as to make it transparent to the user.

Of course the FTS125 doesn't have firmware other than what is in its GPS
receiver, as its locking algorithm is inside a PLD.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 6/28/2012 07:45:23 Pacific Daylight Time,