[time-nuts] Naive reference oscillator qustion, but has to be asked!

Peter Bell bell.peter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 11:01:37 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Chris Wilson <chris at chriswilson.tv> wrote:

> Thanks, is it worth even thinking about, or is the Kenwood add on
> TCXO module more than adequate? Only reason I ask is I will be using the
> rig as a driver for a microwave transverter.

The frequency stability of the oscillator in the transverter is much more
important - since that's the one that's going to be multiplied many times
to give you a signal to mix with the rig output. Having said this, you also
have to be careful with using an external signal to drive it, since the
multiplier will have the effect of seriously degrading the phase noise and
so getting good results requires an extremely clean (I.E. low phase noise)
source.