[time-nuts] Loran transmitters back on the air

Mike Naruta AA8K aa8k at comcast.net
Fri Mar 2 17:15:49 UTC 2012

In 1983 we were testing Loran for a vehicle
tracking application.  We had a van with a
Loran aviation antenna mounted on the roof
and a relatively inexpensive marine Loran
receiver.

We started with an informal test.  This was
miles inland, about an hour's drive North
of Detroit, Michigan.

We parked on the shoulder of the road, beside
a wooden post.  I wrote down the latitude and
longitude.  My supervisor then drove the van
a mile away.  Then I looked at the Loran
readout while he drove the same road.  I only
looked at the display, while giving him verbal
instructions to slow down, slow down more, and
finally I said, "Stop!"

Dick said, "You're not going to believe this."
I looked up and right outside my window was
the same post!