[time-nuts] Fwd: FE-5680A Contact FEI

Jose Camara camaraq1 at quantacorp.com
Sun Mar 4 20:29:24 UTC 2012

To be fair, the scrapping of defective boards was a practice adopted by HP
in the 90's and by Tektronix only after the Danaher steamroller took over.

I was lucky to buy a set of defective boards from an ex-HP employee in Santa
Rosa and spend weeks really learning how they work, modifying a 8560
tracking generator into a 8590 one, but in the end got not only a fully
packed 8593E but education and hands-on training I couldn't get anywhere.

Similarly, I got a nearly-operational prototype MSO4104 and some spare
boards from pre-Danaher time from another ex-employee, and was able to just
tweak the EEPROM to get it to work. Tektronix was near zero help - you can
actually say they were below zero - one call mentioning I 'might buy' old
prototypes resulted in legal threats.

I agree with you, they'd be better off eBaying their scrap so hobbyists with
small budgets but plenty of time could repair what was not economical to
them. The amount of good will and testimonials to their quality from these
people couldn't be created by any ad campaign or tons of free t-shirts and
pens in shows...

Jose