[time-nuts] Loran in the US

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:26:32 UTC 2012

The best and by far lowest cost solution is to pay TV stations and
maybe AM broadcast stations to add a timing pulse a few times per
second.  No transmitters to build.   The receivers would be more
complete but that is OK in 2012.   In the "old days"  it was to
expensive to put a complex computer inside a radio but now that is
routine.    So I can imagine a receivers that can listen to 20 or 30
broadcast stations, look of the latitude and longitude of each one and
compute a best fit to the delays.   Actually that is how GPS works but
only in L1

Traditionally the main problem with using comercail radios for
navigation has been then they don't issue a station ID frequenty
enough so you have to listen for a long time to know what station
you've tuned.   But radio with a computer inside would know the
station by it's frequency and the approx. location of the receiver.

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Charles P. Steinmetz
<charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Antonio wrote:
>
>> Now, that the Loran C ressurection seems to be probable
>

> I suspect that it is not yet anywhere near probable -- more likely there is
> now some remote possibility of a ressurection if many difficult
> preconditions (including Congressional action) are all met.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California