[time-nuts] USB Interface, legacy Software

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Mar 7 17:25:20 UTC 2012

Hi

My guess is that your software isn't just looking for a serial port. It's
also looking for specific strings back from the GPS. Depending on what you
attach, it may or may not give you the strings you need. If you are doing
timing, a USB interface will be a major headache.

Most sensor <=> usb issues are a result of the sensor getting a supply
voltage from the serial port. The USB serial chips often don't have enough
power to do the trick. There are various outfits that sell multi port USB
interfaces that allow you to attach a power dongle to them. Often these are
the only thing that will get a setup like yours to work.

Bob