[time-nuts] Solar Storm Effects?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Mar 8 15:20:37 UTC 2012

On 3/8/2012 10:08 AM, J. Forster wrote:
> The media is reporting a large solar storm and saying it will upset GPS
> among other things.
>
> Has anybody see any effects?

I won't be able to look at the data until I get home from work tonight,
but last evening I started measuring the sawtooth-corrected output of a
CNS2 clock vs. the PPS output of an Rb standard.  Wondering if I'll see
any glitches... if so I'll report back here.

There was a major solar event in December, 2006 and at the time I was
monitoring GPS signal strength.  I got a very noticeable glitch at the
time the blast hit the earth:
http://febo.com/pages/gps_solar_flare/

Unfortunately, I didn't have an appropriate PPS measurement going on at
the time.

John