[time-nuts] Loran in the US

Dennis Ferguson dennis.c.ferguson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 02:17:28 UTC 2012

On 8 Mar, 2012, at 02:58 , Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Has anybody asked them how good time&freq they're trying to deliver ?
>
> I would assume that they are aiming for a backup for GPS in
> telecom-GPSDO context.
>
> If so, frequency stability is priority number one and time is
> probably just "better than 100msec" or so

I could swear I saw something that said "50 ns", though I can
no longer find it and that sounds like science fiction.  I note,
though, that the Federal Register publication for the project,
here:

    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-01-11/html/2012-307.htm

indicates they aren't just looking at Loran by itself.  The
MF dGPS bands and 500 kHz are also included in whatever they
are doing.

Dennis Ferguson