[time-nuts] pointers to information on ways to collect data, 5335, etc.

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 9 21:27:21 UTC 2012

I've got a student intern (Undergrad Senior) who's doing a project for
me where he's trying to synchronize (and syntonize) two 1 pps ticks,
generated from different oscillators using some modules in an FPGA.
One oscillator is a run of the mill 66 MHz clock oscillator the other is
a 49.x MHz TCXO. (and, of course, because he's working in a breadboard,
I can swap in a signal generator for either.. I've got a stack of 3325Bs
and 8663s, etc.)

The objective is to get two signals that are 1 pps  (or 10 pps) ticks
(each derived from a different oscillator) that align

I'm looking for info to point him to on evaluating the performance of
his implementation.

I've got a HP 5335 (which works quite nicely with a Prologix and John
Miles's tools... thanks John!).  I've got oscilloscopes.  I've got
access to more exotic stuff if need be (although, since my intern budget
is skinny, stuff I happen to have in the lab, like my uncalibrated 5335,
is better)

I also have a bunch of Wenzel 10 MHz OCXOs sitting around (although for
this, why not use one of the instrument's internal oscillator and
distribute it around)

I do have a hydrogen maser derived reference in the lab, but I'm more
interested in him measuring the two oscillators against each other.
(that is, measuring the performance of the TCXO, by itself, isn't
particularly interesting)

What he needs is some suggestions on things that he can measure that
would be meaningful figures of merit for the application.

He's not doing a PhD dissertation, though.. And he has to be done before
the end of the spring semester.  No million second Allan Deviation
measurements.