[time-nuts] Possible replacement for FE5680A

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 12 13:24:03 UTC 2012

On 3/12/12 2:20 AM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
> Yes, build three and compare them but your comparator has to have a very
> low noise floor. I think that in addition to building new higher precision
> clocks you need to build new lower noise TI counters.

This is part of the thrill (or frustration) of working at the state of
the art limit.

At work we build state of the art deep space transponders with very low
added Allan deviation (4E-16 at 1000 sec).  Figuring out a way to prove
that they work is often harder than designing and building the actual
article under test, particularly when you want to demonstrate that it
will do it with a slowly varying input frequency.