[time-nuts] FE5680A Calibration

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Wed Mar 14 15:47:54 UTC 2012

The first thing to consider is something to put the 5680 into. Search
the list for
temperature considerations. Basically you will need to heat sink the 5680. It
can be run without, but won't last long. The technique I'm going to
use it to heat
sink the 5680 and with a pair of small variable speed fans (one as a backup) the
inside of the box will be keep at a reasonably constant temperature with the set
point based on keeping the 5680 in a safe region.

There's been quite a bit of discussion on 10 MHz distribution. For now
I'm thinking
of using a surplus commercial video distribution amplifier. Most
studio grade DA's
are good to 15 MHz +- 3db. I also have a HP 5087A but its input is 5 MHz and
the output cards are mostly 5MHz. A future project to convert.

I have not decided if I want to put the Rb which maybe a LPRO, the Thunderbolt,
and maybe a 10811 into one box or not. One idea is with them all on
one box having
the ability to adjust the Rb and the 10811 via the Thunderbolt, and
one box can be
looked at as a temp controlled 'oven' for all three.

One could also put a DIY DA into the same box.

-pete

PS A friend and time-nut has be threatening to do a modern easy to
build DA, many on
the list need one.