[time-nuts] WWVB BPSK Receiver Project?

Peter Monta pmonta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 08:20:51 UTC 2012

> Part of the processing gain comes directly from the BPSK modulation and that
> amounts to a little over 10 dB improvement, but there's a further 18 dB gain
> to be had by accumulating an hours worth of data and processing that.

That part of the paper bothered me.  There's nothing preventing a
receiver from averaging the current AM-only signal for a long time.
They shouldn't be taking credit for that.

A receiver capable of integrating over a few hours *using the existing
signal* would arguably achieve many of the stated goals of the paper,
including the jammer resistance.

Maybe the new signal is an improvement, and I would have nothing
against it if it doesn't hurt the overall phase stability, but apples
should be compared with apples.

Cheers,
Peter