[time-nuts] Tracor 308-B Rubidium Standard Question

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Thu Mar 15 19:11:12 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm investigating a Tracor 308-B standard.  I can see the modulation
frequency, but there's no trace of the second harmonic so the unit won't
lock.

I opened up the physics package and the lamp does light, but it's very
weak.  Has anyone tried to rejuvenate one of these bulbs by heating it?
Any tricks to watch out for?  I already know that I hate that little
wire that's used for starting the bulb.

Is using heat to rejuvenate a Rubidium lamp a generic trick that's worth
trying with any Rubidium, or just particular ones?

Thanks,
Ed