[time-nuts] Antenna Position

Rob Kimberley robkimberley at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 21 11:00:47 UTC 2012

All,

There have been numerous discussions on antennae position in the group, so I
thought the following might be interesting to both old and new to T&F.

I've recently had a small extension to the house built which is now my
office/workshop. Living in a conservation area in the Peak District in the
UK, and having 4 GPS antennae on the roof of the extension was going to be a
big problem (BIG!). The extension is bordered by a dry stone wall approx.
5ft high.

I'm currently running an Odetics CommSync as my house standard. This is a
dual redundant GPS/OCXO unit with 16 x 10 MHz outputs and 2x 1PPS. Also
running are two Zyfer NTPSync XL (badged Meinberg LanTime) network time
servers.

As I couldn't mount the antennae on the roof, I had to get creative. I tried
various positions on the ground before settling on their current "resting
place".

All antennae are now mounted on short poles with the poles and cables buried
in the ground in front of the wall which faces South West. All antennae are
approx. 1ft. above ground level and about 1ft. apart, and from the road it
just looks like I'm growing some rather exotic mushrooms!!

All GPS units track at least 5 SVs all the time. I know that the position is
not perfect by any means, but it is a case of needs must. The CommSync is
sitting showing about 1E-13 at present so I'm happy with the way it all
works.

(If anyone wants a photograph of the set up please contact me off list.
Thanks)

Rob Kimberley