[time-nuts] Experience with THS788 from TI?

Ben Gamari bgamari at physics.umass.edu
Wed Mar 21 16:18:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:44:14 -0500, David <davidwhess at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am surprised it is not more accurate and precise.  Even old discrete
> designs can get down to 10ps or better.  I wonder what market it is
> for where space is at that much of a premium.

Out of curiosity, would you happen to have an example of discrete TDC
design? Recently I've been exploring the TDC design space as these
devices are a critical part of our experiments (I do spectroscopy of
biological molecules). I'm currently (slowly) working on a FPGA TDC
design (based on the PandaDAQ[1] and CERN's Spartan 6 TDC design) but it
seems it will be non-trivial to get down to the 12 ns the commercial
offerings provide (although at great cost). What would a discrete TDC
design look like?  Are there any designs in the open?

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] http://www.keteu.org/~haunma/proj/pandadaq/
[2] http://www.ohwr.org/projects/tdc-core/wiki