[time-nuts] Frequency Counter Errors

Jerry Mulchin jmulchin at cox.net
Thu Mar 22 00:05:44 UTC 2012

I have a question for the collective group.

I have a HP 5372A and a HP 5328A frequency counters. Both counters use the same
PRS-10 Rubidium frequency standard driving a 6 channel reference distribution amplifier
to each counters reference input port. The problem is this;

When I measure the same frequency on both counters, (done one at a time) the frequency
is generally off by about 300 Hz or so between the counters. Now I would expect an error
of +/- 1 digit, but 300Hz seems a bit strange to me. I can not find the problem and the
difference exists even if I use the internal timebases of each counter, give or take the timebase errors.
The frequency is always at least >200 to 300Hz off between the two counters and I don't know
which one to believe. You know the "man with 2 clocks" problem.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks
Jerry