[time-nuts] HP 3586B Power Supply Failures

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 07:21:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Perry Sandeen <sandeenpa at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   One, can I safely double the capacitance of the filter capacitors?  (I plan on using the 105C 10K hour high reliability Nichicon or Panasonic units.)

A possible problem is "in rush current".   When you first turn on the
power a non-charged filter cap looks like a dead short.   A larger cap
will look like a short for a longer time.   As long as there is
something  that limits the current you may be OK.  That might even be
the resistance is a transformer.  Modern diode rectifier are pretty
good and will take a large inrush current.

doubling is really not a huge increase in size.  Use quality parts,
105C and maybe 50% more volts than the peak they will see and low ESR.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California