[time-nuts] HP 3586B Power Supply Failures

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Mar 22 11:03:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:55:39 -0700 (PDT)
Perry Sandeen <sandeenpa at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So two questions.  One, can I safely double the capacitance of the
> filter capacitors?  (I plan on using the 105C 10K hour high reliability
> Nichicon or Panasonic units.)

That depends on the circuit. Be aware that you have a voltage controller
there that is designed for a certain load capacitance with a specific
ESR. It will be stable within a certain range of that, but might start
oscillating if you leave it. If the controller is build using a controller
chip, you can check the datasheet for the specifications. If its discretely
build, you have to calculate the safe rage.

Additionally, ensure that the allowed ripple current of your capacitors
is larger than the one of your power supply at worst case.

> Secondly, the tantalum filter caps seem OK but can they be replaced
> with the same high quality aluminum electrolytics perhaps of a higher
> value of capacitance?

Yes, if and only if the above points are considered.

				Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin