[time-nuts] Distribution amp - Use a video amp unit ?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 18:01:07 UTC 2012

I think people have used video amps.  I got one recently for nearly
zero cost and it works as spec'd but video signals are typically 1
volt peak to peak and the amp is spec'd for "10MHz, 1dB" which means
I'm right at the limit and I'm a 1 dB down, just as the spec says.
Is 1V P-P enough for your equipment?     This amp is easy to modify
and I can greatly improve the specs by running it at +/- 15V rather
then the +/-5V it now uses.

So, my opinion:  Video distribution amps can work but you'll be right
on the edge of the spec'd limits all around.

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM, cfo <xnews3 at luna.kyed.com> wrote:
> I need a distribution amp for my Tbolt , with 6..8+ outputs
>
> The TAPR-1 is NA , and the successor status is ???.
>
> I need it for distributing 10Mhz ref-clock to Counters
> (HP,Racal,Phillips), a Rigol Sig-gen & maybe Oscilloscopes etc.
>
> It's for "better than ocxo/hobby use" , and not Tnut (ps accuracy).
>
> I have seen suggestions for using a video distributiution unit.
> But in my part of the world (EU) , there isn't a lot on "eby".
> I have seen some RGB amps , and was wondering if i could use those ?
>
> Could i use a 1:6 RGB unit for : Tbolt on R , FEI-5680A on G  - and ?? on
> B ?
>
> I'm not experienced (yet) in the analog domain.
>
> If i go (simple diy) Would this one work  (also wo. the trafo's) ?
> http://www.oz9fw.dk/PDF%20files/rubidium.pdf
>
> I do have some trafo's on an old 10Mhz 8-chan Hub , that i might be able
> to salvage if needed.
>
> Thanx for any input/hints
>
> CFo - T-Nut beginner Denmark.

Chris Albertson