[time-nuts] Basic question re adev measurements

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Mar 26 21:26:43 UTC 2012

Hi

My first guess is that your limiter is (for what ever reason) doing better
at say 1 Hz offset than it is at 10 Hz. Second guess would be that the
higher offset is closer to a noise source / spur in your lab. Past that, you
get into a lot of "that depends" things. If you are doing cross correlation
then you may be better correlated at the lower offset....

To directly answer the question - no there nothing about a lower offset that
by it's self should improve ADEV, provided the effective measurement
bandwidth is not changed.

If you change the measurement bandwidth then lower bandwidth means less
noise. Since a lot of "modern" gizmos do a post filter on the data, you do
see data plots done that way. Simple answer is that it mostly impacts the
shortest Tau for "normal" sources.

Bob